Tuesday, August 14, 2007

花火(Hanabi)!(part 1)

Tonight I went with my sempai Christy to a fireworks competition in Oga (the city on the peninsula, about 35min away). COOL!

We got there around 5 and the park was already filling up! Since we were there early, we were able to catch a taiko performance by guys dressed as Namahage! I took a video, so I will get that posted eventually. That was really fun, but I can totally see why they scare the heck out of little kids.




The fireworks lasted about an hour and a half and they were crazy good! Well, I'm a bit biased because I totally love fireworks anyway (by the way, in Japanese they're called "hanabi" -- flower [hana] fire [bi]), but these were a cut above. The whole evening was really nice. Nothing like fireworks to bring that 5-year-old's gleam to my eye. :D

Upcoming Events/To-do's
-Gojome's Bonodori Festival (8/15)
-Akita Prefectural Orientation (8/16-17)
-Hachirougata's Bonodori Festival (8/18)
-Christy's English Conversation Class's BBQ (8/19)
-Some other festival (8/19)
-Ogata Fireworks Competition (best in Japan!) (end of Aug)
-Go see the Godzilla Rock (near Oga - apparently when the sun sets, the silhouette of Godzilla is formed by these rocks--- COOL!)
-Namahage Festival (early Feb)

No comments:

Post a Comment