Sunday, February 24, 2008

Starbucks

This is my first time blogging from my phone so we'll see how it goes!

I'm at the mall right now because I have no internet at home (I'll write about that another time.), so I decided to come here to watch a movie. While I wait for the movie, I'm hanging out in Starbucks, which is what prompted this blog.

Since moving to Japan, I've become hooked on Starbucks! Now that may not sound so unusual, since there are probably millions of people around the world who could make that statement, but you have to take into account that I don't like the taste of coffee and I can't drink anything with caffeine, then an addiction to Starbucks might start sounding a little strange. I'm actually at a loss for what to order when I go there. I used to love the chai lattes, but too many caffeine-induced nightmares have unfortunately nixed those. I do like hot chocolate, so sometimes I order that, but Starbucks' hot chocolate is powdery and awful world-wide, and therefore not so enjoyable. Basically, as far as drinks go, my best bet is water. Sad!

So why am I addicted? Or to what? It's the atmosphere, the experience. When I was at Berkeley, there was a FABULOUS cafe right below my apartment (www.villagegrounds.com) and a bazillion other local cafes so I pretty much never went to Starbucks. In Chico, I went occasionally with friends or my parents. Now, I usually go once a week (on Mondays) even though it's an hour away. Why? Because there's something comforting about it. About how the decor and music and cups are the same no matter where you are in the world. About how the people who work there are always friendly and cheerful in their green aprons. About the food and desserts that always taste fresh and strangely American. I don't know... I just love going. For the hour or two I sit there with bad hot chocolate and a tasty cookie in one of those typical "comfy chairs" (that aren't very comfy) I feel normal. Like I'm not in a foreign country thousands of miles from home, but rather right down the street.

Sometimes living here can be overwhelming in a number of ways, but with a little time reading in a Starbucks, I feel refreshed and ready to start tackling the world again. I think it's a good thing. It keeps me sane (as long as I avoid caffeine! lol).

Anyway, just thought I'd share my thoughts! Time for the movie. I'm going to see that one with Natalie Portman and a magical toy store - except it's dubbed in Japanese so that ought to be interesting! :)

Bye for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment