Thursday, June 18, 2009

Idea Train! Whooo Whoo~

So, I have an idea!

Actually, it's a combination of three thought bunnies, as Sally might say.

1. My mom likes to read the articles I write/translate (Hi, Mom!), but they're hard to find on the hokubei.com web site, so I've been emailing her the links. I've only been there three weeks, so that really isn't very hard or very much to send... but wouldn't it be nice if Mom could just see my work all compiled for her whenever she has time to look?

2. This thought involves my mom, too (Hi again!). Mom Post has been telling me I should keep a portfolio of my work and the feedback I get (see the entries below) to have on hand for future jobs or promotions. I definitely agree, but my original thought of clippings and file folders seemed so... tedious. The procrastinator/lazy traits of my personality came out and so while I was saying, "Definitely, Mom. I'll get started on that," the reality is I was going, "Yeah, right." Then I thought, isn't there an easier way to do this?

3. The third inspiration comes from my good friend Raiman, stylist extraordinaire, whom I mentioned a few posts ago. He's working toward his dream of being a stylist in Japan, and blogging along the way. In addition to writing about his own adventures and journey, Raiman often shares tips, quotes, ideas, links, advice, etc on creating successful relationships and businesses, getting organized, and other helpful topics. Now, I'm not starting a business or anything like that, these posts are interesting and informative, and without realizing it, I've learned a thing or two from them (more on that another day). Anyway, to get to the point, one of the things he has been exploring recently is creating an online portfolio as a way to show potential clients the looks and styles he's created. Brilliant. So, why don't I do that?

And so, if you haven't guessed where I'm going by now, I plan to create a new blog/online portfolio for my writing and translations. I'll be doing it on a different site because I want to keep that as something professional, and that way I can keep it separate from the fun, personal posts on this site.

I'm really excited about this project, so hopefully I'll get it up and running as soon as possible.

Of course, I'll post here and let you know the address when I get it set up!

2 comments:

  1. Woah! I gave you the idea and I didn't even see that coming! But I think it's fantastic one =D

    When I read #2, I just thought that there are tools that easily convert webpages into PDF files with a click of a button. That would help you archive them (hurray for the digital world), and you could send them to your mom!

    Or of course, you can upload them onto your new website!

    Also, I recently found a good reason you might want to invest in a personal domain name. So you buy www.(whatever).com, but for free you can also create as many subdomains as you want as well! So if you had katiepost.com, then for free you could create:

    twitter.katiepost.com
    facebook.katiepost.com
    blog.katiepost.com
    etc...

    And they would all just redirect you to the respective site!

    And for someone like you who's into the social networking system, it's a easy and perfect way to connect with new people!

    I personally suggest dynadot.com as a good domain host. Good prices, good service, no ads - very straightfoward.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Where is this treasure trove of your writing? I know a woman in Chico who did esute or (aesthetician?) in Japan for a LONG time. She's teaching at the beauty college here- met her at Japanese Chat.

    ReplyDelete