Monday, October 22, 2007

Dance! Dance! Dance!

Michinoku Yosakoi Matsuri!!!
The 13th-14th I hopped on the bullet train (yep, it's fast and cool!) and headed over to Sendai for this amazing dance festival. It's one of the three largest in Japan, and there were teams competing and performing from all over Japan!

After two solid days of watching dance performances, I've determined the key ingredients for a winning team:
-Crazy/flashy costumes
-At least three costume changes during the dance (usually by turning something inside out, taking off a layer, pulling sleeves out of your sleeves, or just sheer MAGIC)
-GIANT FLAGS (the bigger the better, and the more the fabulous)
-Props (including naruko noisemaker thingys, folding fans, parasols, lanterns, shiny material, smaller flags, etc.)
-No kids or old ladies (unless they're in the back - that's how you tell the serious teams from the cute-sy ones)


I really liked Sendai! I spent the night with my friend Jenny (the girl I sat next to for 10hrs from SF->Tokyo), so I had a free place to stay and insider advice.








On Wally's recommendation, I decided to check out this building called the Sendai Mediatheque. Wally said it's in all the architecture books, so I expected it to be neat, but I was surprised by how much I really really liked it! It contains and a library and a couple of art galleries.





I also went to the top floor of the tallest building in Sendai so I could take this picture at sunset.
I also found where Ginger can go to get some learning...
Before I caught the train home, I stopped for some Mexican food! I was early (like 5:30) so I was the only one in the tiny restaurant and the chef was also my server (until the waitress arrived at 6 haha). I had two enchiladas and two tacos (they were tiny), and they were really good! I want to go back!

Homeward bound! The station looked cool at night, and I got to watch some MORE dancing until my train came.
Looks fast, huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment