Thursday, October 25, 2007

Hoping for rain

I had lunch with the first graders today, and while I was eating my mikan (mandarin)and listening to the kids talk excitedly about Tokyo Disneyland, all I could think about was oranges, (*real*) Disneyland, and Southern California.

These fires have come to a magnitude I can't even comprehend, nor truly know how to respond to. Lately, everyone from fellow teachers and my supervisor to my hair dresser and the attendant at the gas station have been asking me about the fires. Mostly they ask if my family, my home is okay, and thankfully, I can tell them my home is a safe, happy 500 miles away. But the fact that people in my tiny town in Japan know about the fires and are concerned about their intensity, scares me more than I probably would be if I was back home. Also, this stupid time difference makes it really hard to get a hold of people, and without a TV or newspaper I feel really disconnected, which totally stresses me out. As far as I know, my friends (and their families) are safe, but I know some have houses in danger and some have been evacuated. It's scary, and, I'm worried.

I wish there was something I could do... I wish I wasn't so far away (because I feel like being closer, I *could* do something - whether or not that's true is a different story).

Take care of yourselves, friends. I hope you/your friends/family/property stay safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment