Saturday, January 26, 2008

ヤッタ!!!!!

I finally fixed my computer!!!! I can download music! and upload pictures!!

[don't read the rest unless you're interested in computer-y things]
In case you weren't aware, some time back in September, I did something weird that screwed up my computer so I couldn't access iTunes, upload photos via Facebook or iPhoto, update software, etc. It got weirder when I found out I only had the problem when connected to an ethernet cable, and everything worked fine on a wireless connection. It was frustrating, and sad, and my lack of knowledge with Macs left me feeling helpless.

After many failed attempts, I'd kind of given up hope of it ever working again, and was planning to buy a wireless router to see if that worked. Tonight, I figured I'd try one last suggestion from my family - delete Firefox and Safari and try reloading them. I was skeptical, but had nothing to lose, so I deleted Firefox (my default browser) and restarted. Then, I realized when I opened Safari (which I rarely/never use) that it wasn't working! It said it wasn't connected to the Internet, but obviously it was! I was able to use both Skype and iChat! I kind of panicked, because with Safari not working, there was no way I could reload Firefox (and thus fix Safari). I used some smooth talking (okay, I just asked) a friend on iChat to send me Firefox, and while it transfered, I got curious. I decided to check the preferences and settings of Safari again.

It dawned on me - proxies!!! They're helpful when you're connected trying to connect to a secure network, but when you're just connecting at home, they make it so you can't connect! Proxies!! I went to the proxy settings, and, indeed these, unlike the ones you can change easily in Firefox, are managed by the Mac OS Network Settings - which means they control all apps trying to connect to the Internet! AND mine were set for the proxy servers at one of my schools. So, all I had to do was uncheck a few boxes, and TA-DA!! After months of anguish (and illegal music downloads), I'm swept away with joy!

Now that things are working again, look for some photo albums coming soon on my google photos site (I'll let you know when I post).
Yaaaaay!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment