Thursday, May 29, 2008

Thank you for teaching us gently

Today is my LAST day at Hachiryu JHS, and even though I've visited this school the least of the three junior highs (started here mid-Nov), saying goodbye is SAD!! Since I'm going to be in town until August, it came as a surprise to everyone that I would finish at this school so early. The English teachers told the vice principal it was my last day and they quickly arranged to have a whole school assembly after lunch.

I just got back from it. The principal gave a speech about how great it was to have me, and how I'm going off to do good things, it was really cute. Then two 3rd graders (9th grade) gave a little speech in English where one boy would talk and the other would repeat key phrases, saying things like "We are very sad to say goodbye. Thanks for teaching us English. Your classes were always interesting (interesting!) and fun (fun!) and comfortable (comfortable!) and exciting (exciting!). Thank you for teaching us gently." and then with double thumbs up, "Good luck!" SO CUTE! and funny!

Then a girl came up and gave me a BEAUTIFUL bouquet of roses and pretty pink flowers. I gave my little speech in English (it was really simple so I think they understood most, if not all, of it). Then one of the funny boys from before did a "translation" which basically consisted of him putting on a funny girly voice and translating a couple of the main things I said. Everyone laughed. :D He's cute!

And then they clapped, and I waved, and the end!


Oh, and in the 2nd grade English class this morning, the teacher told them it was my last day at the end of class. So a bunch of kids came up to say thank you or shake my hand, etc. Two boys came up separately to tell me, "You are very beautiful." One boy (who's a big character in class) said, "I love you!" and then pulled the other teacher over, asked her something, and then came back and said "Will you marry me??" hahahaha I told him, "Sorry, I have to go to America." He said, "OK! See you again!" and went off with his laughing friends.

Cute, cute, cute. I'm going to miss these kids!!!! :(

1 comment:

  1. Very happy to see your blog here as I was looking for photos of Hachiryu! I taught in Hachiryu from 2001-2004 when it was still its own town. I adored my experience and left a bit of my heart there. Thanks for bringing back good memories.

    Kelsey Johnson

    ReplyDelete