Saturday, May 31, 2008

I <3 Japan

Not that that really needs to be said at this point, but it's true. It seems like everyday I grow to love it even more.

Generally speaking, I love the geography (both 田舎 and 都会), the history, the culture, the tradition, the language, and, of course, the people! I can break it down to even simpler, daily things, too. Things like traditional style houses and the smell of tatami floors, untranslatable phrases like 懐かしい and 'KY', melon flavored soda, jingly keitai straps, the old ladies selling ice cream, heated toilet seats (and clean public restrooms!), the yellow hats pre-schoolers wear, Japanese-accented English, and a thousand more.

Of course, there are times living here when cultural differences are frustrating, or when I don't enjoy my lifestyle. There are plenty of things that annoy me (smoking in restaurants or inefficient bureaucracies, for example)...
But that's true of anywhere.

Even though my Japanese will never be good enough, and I may never learn to love natto, and no matter how annoyed, frustrated, or homesick I get, it doesn't change the simple fact - I love Japan.
It's true.


With only two months left here, the excitement of being home with my family and friends is growing exponentially, but, at the same time, so is my love and appreciation for all things "Japanese". As divisive and stressful as that is for me, I'm trying to just relax and enjoy it all.

I do take comfort in reassuring myself that when I go home in August I certainly won't be saying "good-bye".
I'll be back. Soon...
because it's love!

No comments:

Post a Comment